Motivation. It’s so important when sticking to a diet that everything can completely de-rail if it runs out.
Very Important Note: it will eventually run out.
For some of us, this happens only once in a blue moon, for others it will run out daily. You just need to know that if you’re a human, your motivation will inevitably get down to big round zero.
Dr Tim Sharp explains, “even when we’ve identified what we want or need to do, and even if we know that practising such behaviours will be in our best interests, even the best of us will find that our motivation wavers from time to time.”
When our tanks are empty, we like to turn to the therapeutic remedy of putting pen to paper and jotting down a list.
Listing is like brainstorming and can help you consolidate feelings, thoughts and goals.
Plus, having these meaningful things written down enables you to revisit them when you inescapably fall into a motivational slump again in the future. Double win!
So, next time you feel like you’re devoid of motivation, get to writing one or more of these lists to help you get it back!
- Your favourite low-calorie meals
- Things that you will be able to do better once you reach your goal (eg. Walk upstairs without losing your breath)
- Delicious healthy meals you’d like to try
- Surprising benefits other than weight loss that you’ve noticed so far (eg. glowing skin)
- Clothes that you will buy once you reach your goal weight
- Your healthy meals for the week
- All the negative feelings you had that made you want to diet in the first place
- Your favourite healthy snack swaps (tip: stick this on your fridge for when you get a craving!)
- An overhauled healthy shopping list
- Favourite healthy takeaway meals (tip: leave this in your wallet!)
- A list of situations, people or things that cause you to make bad food choices
- Compliments that you’d like to hear once you reach your goal weight
- The naughty foods you most frequently turn to and how many calories they have in them
- Your favourite motivational quotes
- A playlist of songs that make you feel energized
- People that inspire you and why
- Things to do instead of snack
- Aspects of your health that you are grateful for
- Real situations that made you wish you were healthier
- Reasons why you are worth putting the effort in
Do you have any motivation-boosting tips and tricks? Hop on the @superfastdiet Facebook Page and let us know what they are!