Ah Taco Tuesday – so much yumminess! It’s a fave in many households but it is often hard to know how to enjoy it with your family and friends and not blow your calorie budget whilst intermittent fasting, right?
Well, for a start, tacos work really well as a crowd pleaser because everyone can assemble their own dish, choosing which toppings to include and which to leave out. The perfect opportunity to make a ‘one cook fits all’ dinner. The trick for you is knowing which ingredients to load and which to avoid whilst still enjoying a taste fiesta!
Here’s our guide:
- Decide on and prepare a protein for the tacos that everyone will enjoy such as turkey mince, marinated chicken strips, pan-fried white fish or grilled prawns.
- Season with fresh herbs, spices and other veggies, tinned tomato, onion, kidney beans, mushrooms, garlic, chilli, coriander, paprika and cumin. Finish it off with a hearty squeeze of lime. Whatever you like! The list goes on!
- Chop up your taco toppings such as shredded cabbage or lettuce (try for darker leaves over iceberg), chopped tomatoes, sliced jalapenos, green capsicum, onions, carrot ribbons or choko matchsticks.
- Pop your taco shells or tortillas in the oven and get ready to add to the table.
- Complete your feast smorgasbord with chunky salsa, homemade guacamole (smashed avo, red onion, coriander and lemon juice), sour cream and cheddar cheese.
How to make YOURS low cal:
- ENJOY – the protein and all the veggie toppings + the salsa
- GO LIGHT ON – the guacamole, sour cream and cheese
- POSSIBLE SWAP – instead of the sour cream and cheese, use crumbled low-cal queso fresco
- DEFINITE SWAP – instead of tacos, use lettuce cups – big cal saver right there!
- Taco Salad!
- Toasted wheat wraps
- Taco pizza with cauliflower crust
- Nachos (for the kiddies)
By making the suggested changes to your plate-up you can save up to half the calories on taco night and still keep the whole household happy – even the fussy eaters who can eat what they prefer from the Mexican feast set before them.
One thing we can predict is that you’re all going to be nice and full. Ahh… siesta time.
JOIN US today for more tips, tricks and 200+ gorgeous recipes!