After a simply delicious, fibre-rich family feast? You can’t go wrong with this gorgeous Spinach Pesto Pasta. Whether you keep the recipe as is, or use it as a base, we are sure the whole family will be smiling from ear to ear. Best of all, we are going to share with you Kirsten’s delicious home-made pesto recipe!
- 175g wholewheat pasta
- 150g baby spinach
- 40g pesto- Kirsten’s recipe below
- (You could also purchase a jar of pesto if you are short on time)
- 20g basil leaves, torn
- 30g feta cheese, crumbled
- Cook the pasta as per the instructions, drain and place back into the pot.
- Add the spinach and pesto and keep the pot over the heat until the spinach is wilted.
- Stir through the basil leaves.
- Serve topped with crumbled feta and lots and lots of fresh pepper.
- A squeeze of fresh lemon or chili flakes also works well with this dish.
Spinach Pesto Pasta Nutritional Info (per serve – recipe serves 2)
Calories: 447cal Protein: 15.9g Total fat: 12.5g Saturated fat: 3.7g Carbohydrate: 63.8g Sugars: 1.3g
Kirsten’s Homemade Pesto Recipe
This gorgeous pesto recipe is simply delicious, and under 100 calories per serve. This recipe makes 350g of pesto. A serve is 20g, and is just 95 calories!
Nutritionist, Kirsten Wenbourne explained, “Making your own sauces and dips at home really allows you to keep the ‘bad’ stuff out, cutting out unnecessary sugars and preservatives.” As well as stirring your pesto through pasta, you can also top chicken or fish with it or why not use it as a dip?
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cups firmly-packed basil leaves
- 60g parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- Add pine nuts, garlic, parmesan & basil to a food processor and blitz
- Slowly pour olive oil into the food processor
- Squeeze lemon juice into the food processor and mix through
- Store in a jar in the fridge for up to a week
- Toast pine nuts before adding to the food processor
- Use sunflower seeds instead of pine nuts for a nut-free alternative
- Omit parmesan cheese or use nutritional yeast for a vegan version
- Reduce garlic to 2 cloves if preferred
After more simple amazing and healthy recipes to whip up in the kitchen? Simply join us today for our best deal yet!
Our biggest goal here at SuperFastDiet is to spread the word on how to best find both physical and mental health and wellbeing in a simple and effective way through our three pillars, SuperFood, SuperFast and SuperLife. Could you do us a huge favour and share the blog above with 3 people you think might benefit! It really would mean so much. Thank you!